Sunil B. Mittal has been chosen for this yearâ€™s Padma Bhushan Awards by the Government of India. The very prestigious Padma Bhushan award, one of Indiaâ€™s highest civilian honours, recognises rare individuals for distinguished service of a high order to the nation.
Sunil has been chosen for the award for his immense contribution towards leading the development of a world-class telecom sector in the country, which has taken telecommunications to the masses and in turn had a major impact on the economic development of the nation.
This honour in some ways also recognizes the companies & teams built by Sunil as a first generation entrepreneur â€“ equally recognised as a successful leader and a global CEO.
Sunil, who began his entrepreneurial journey in 1976, is today widely regarded as one of the most successful business leaders of post-liberalised India. Over the years, he has been recognised at various national and international forums and recently received several prestigious awards such as:
* â€˜Asia Businessman of the Year 2006â€™ by Fortune magazine
* â€˜CEO of the Year – Frost and Sullivanâ€™ 2006
* â€˜The Honorary Fellowshipâ€™ from The Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers (IETE) 2006
* â€˜Best Asian Telecom CEO – Telecom Asiaâ€™ 2005
* â€˜Business Leader of the Year – Economic Timesâ€™ 2005
* â€˜Entrepreneur of the Year – Ernst & Youngâ€™ 2004